[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding debug information to LLVM to support Fortran

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 1 15:27:55 PDT 2018

Regarding flags, I was just thinking that maybe we should invent a new DISubprogramFlags type.  DISubprogram already has a few bitfields for subprogram-specific things, Fortran will want 3 more, and there's no reason to fill up the generic DIFlags with more bits that are used in only one class.

I agree that the array stuff needs to be designed with an eye to handling how other languages do arrays, and leverage the common aspects.  Several languages have runtime-sized arrays and it would be nice to handle them all the same way.
However the CHARACTER type probably does want to be DW_TAG_string_type rather than an array. COBOL also has strings as a fundamental type.

I guess we'll have to learn what all the Fortran array stuff actually means now…
--paulr