[llvm-dev] GN build roundtable summary; adding GN build files to the repo

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 1 03:30:15 PDT 2018

On 31.10.18 23:29, Zachary Turner wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 3:11 PM Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev
>

>     Besides, how on earth are you using LLVM that cmake times are an issue?
>     Given that cmake times seem to be the only argument you have in
>     favor of
>     GN...
>
>     I just measured the typical case (for LLVM only, debug build, all
>     non-experimental targets enabled) by touching all files. cmake takes 5
>     seconds to run, while the build as a whole takes about 5 minutes. (This
>     is on Ubuntu 18.10, in case that matters.)
>

> I am using CMake with LLVM with all targets OFF except for x86.  Only
> clang, lldb, and lld enabled.
>
> $ timecmd cmake ..\..\..\..\llvm-mono\llvm
> <output snipped>
> command took 0:0:34.05 (34.05s total)

Have you tried LLVM only?

Quite frankly, if I can get a cmake run in under 5 seconds for LLVM only
(on a Threadripper with SSD) without doing anything special, and it
takes your system 35 seconds for LLVM + Clang + LLDB + LLD (on an
apparently similarly beefy system, also with SSD), it sounds to me like
something *seriously* broken is happening in the cmake files for those
other projects.

Maybe that should be fixed instead of reinventing the world?

Cheers,
Nicolai

--
Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.