[llvm-dev] Miscompilation while switching from clang-4 to clang-5

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 31 00:54:46 PDT 2018

On 31 May 2018 at 08:41, Alex Denisov via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> I understand the linking problem. What I do not understand is how to debug the difference between two versions of compilers.
> This what I do (briefly):
>
> clang++-4 foobar.cpp -lLLVM -l/opt/llvm-3.9/lib
>
> clang++-5 foobar.cpp -lLLVM -l/opt/llvm-3.9/lib

If you add -v then Clang will output each individual command it runs
to do that compilation (I'd expect 2: one compile step and one link
step).

As Tom & Michael said, the link step is most likely to be wrong. You
could test that by mixing and matching the invocations (using the .o
file produced by one version of Clang in the other link command for
example). In the end though, I suspect you'll find it's linking
against a different set of libraries now.

Cheers.

Tim.