[llvm-dev] LLVM Block is not the basic block

Muhui Jiang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 29 05:59:47 PDT 2018

Hi Dean

Thank you very much for you very quick reply. I am still a little bit
confused and below is some of my questions.

In LLVM, basic blocks can contain function calls. This allows partial
and/or full code inlining.
=======
So the reason why basic blocks can contain function calls is because of
code inlining?

The control flow graph (CFG) referred to in LLVM passes only include the
LLVM basic blocks inside a function. In LLVM, only tail-call exits are
considered terminator instructions (and thus will delineate the basic block
boundaries).
=======
If so, the control flow graph generated with opt -dot-cfg should not be the
real control flow graph. Because LLVM doesn't think function call is a
jump, thus the control flow graph is not accurate. Can I say like this? Or
any option to help me to split a basic block in LLVM into several real
basic blocks.

If you want to see function-call graphs, you may want to look at
CallGraphSCCPass instead of FunctionPass.
======
What does function-call graphs mean? Does it mean the callgraph? Many Thanks

Regards
Muhui