[llvm-dev] Using Google Benchmark Library

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 25 12:01:06 PDT 2018

On 05/25/2018 01:49 PM, Pankaj Kukreja via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi,
> I am adding some benchmarks to the test-suite as a part of my GSoC
> project. I am planning to use the google benchmark library on some
> benchmarks. I would like to know your opinion/suggestion on how I
> should proceed

Hi, Pankaj,

We have a directory in the test suite, MicroBenchmarks, for things which
depend on Google's benchmark library. Your benchmarks should likely go
there. You'll need to post a patch for review for the particular things
that you'd like to add.

> with this library and how the design should be(like limiting the
> number of times a kernel is executed so that overall runtime
> of test-suite can be controlled, multiple inputs sizes,  adding it to
> small kernels etc.).

The benchmark library can dynamically pick the number of iterations, and
we definitely need to keep a handle on the overall runtime of the test
suite. I don't think that we yet have guidelines for microbenchmark
timing, but for full applications, we try to keep the runtime down to ~1s.

 -Hal

> I would love to hear any other suggestions that you may have.
>
> Thanks,
> Pankaj

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility