[llvm-dev] Update on strict FP status

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 23 15:53:07 PDT 2018

On 05/23/2018 04:04 PM, Hubert Tong wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 12:19 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov
> <mailto:hfinkel at anl.gov>> wrote:
>

>     On 05/23/2018 11:06 AM, Hubert Tong via llvm-dev wrote:
>>     Hi Ulrich,
>>
>>     I am interested in knowing if the current proposals also take
>>     into account the FP_CONTRACT pragma
>
>     We should already do this (we turn relevant operations into the
>     @llvm.fmuladd. when FP_CONTRACT is set to on during IR generation).
>
> I am not sure we have the same interpretation of what the FP_CONTRACT
> pragma does. Subclause 6.5 paragraph 8 of C11 implies (for example)
> that even where the FENV_ACCESS pragma is "on", folding a constant
> subexpression with an exactly representable result on an
> implementation where FLT_EVAL_METHOD is 0 is within the range of
> acceptable implementation-defined behaviour despite intermediate
> overflow under non-contracted evaluation. Which is to say that the
> current proposal reads as what needs to be done when FP_CONTRACT is
> "off" and FENV_ACCESS is "on". The note from Ulrich implies that the
> requirements are imposed by the Standard, but the range of
> implementation defined behaviour where FP_CONTRACT is "on" where
> FENV_ACCESS is also "on" is possibly a discussion to be had.

Thanks for explaining. Yes, I agree, this is certainly worth discussing.
Do you have thoughts on what we should do? I think it makes sense to
fold where possible, as the user has requested the extra intermediate
precision available from FMA formation.

Also, to what extent can we change our minds later? For example, with
C++/constexpr, etc. does this have ABI implications?

>>     and the ability to implement options that imply a specific value
>>     for the FLT_EVAL_METHOD macro.
>
>     What do you mean by this?
>
> I admit that modes where FLT_EVAL_METHOD, respectively, is 0 (no extra
> range and precision), 1 (float in double range and precision), and 2
> (float and double in long double range and precision) are all
> straightforward for the IR producer to implement by fixing the types
> used in the IR emitted (implying the value FLT_EVAL_METHOD is not
> constant within a program).
>
> So, this is more about implementing meaningful cases of
> FLT_EVAL_METHOD being -1. My point below (in my previous note) is that
> allowing IR passes or the back-end to choose the range and precision
> in a manner conforming to Standard C (for a FLT_EVAL_METHOD of
> -1)--perhaps for speed where multiple sets of floating-point
> operations/registers are available with differing "preferred
> types"--appears to be a use case that the IR does not seem to support
> well.

Yes. In the LangRef we do have fpmath metadata
(http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#fpmath-metadata), which might be
useful in this space, but I don't think we actually use it for anything.

> As for why a FLT_EVAL_METHOD of -1 is on-topic for this thread: The
> language semantics allow the case of the constant subexpression
> folding I mentioned above even when FP_CONTRACT is "off" and
> FENV_ACCESS is "on", because the evaluation format used for the
> evaluation of that subexpression can be said to have infinite range
> and precision.

An, interesting. FLT_EVAL_METHOD is a constant chosen (globally) by the
implementation, correct? Do you know of platforms that set
FLT_EVAL_METHOD to -1?

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel