[llvm-dev] How to inline function from other file in IR

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 16 21:11:58 PDT 2018

Hi Soham,

Are you intending to use the inline keyword in order to control the
inlining optimization?

The inline keyword is not doing this, it is changing the linkage type of
the symbol and instruct the compiler to discard it if there is no call
left, and also will instruct the linker to deduplicate. For instance if
multiple file include a header that defines an inline function, this
function could end up in multiple objects. Without the inline keyword you
would get linker errors for duplicate symbols.

So, the question become: why do you want foo to be inline in bar? If it is
for performance then you don't need the keyword and you should rely on the
optimizer to "do the right thing": running `opt -O2` on the resulting .ll
file you get after llvm-link and after running your pass that adds the call
should be enough.

Best,

--
Mehdi