[llvm-dev] Windows build strangeness

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 16 10:13:16 PDT 2018

I have the git monorepo, and Visual Studio 2015.  I am finding that
running a build from the command line with msbuild (as a nightly job)
invariably fails on the first try, and succeeds on a retry.

The first msbuild command looks like this:

msbuild ALL_BUILD.vcxproj /p:Configuration="RelWithDebInfo" /m:6 /t:Rebuild

This appears to compile everything okay, but invariably fails with
some set of link-time errors, reporting missing symbols.  Then I run
msbuild again, but without the /t:Rebuild (thus it's a dirty build the
second time) and this succeeds.

Is there some inadequacy in the CMake dependencies somewhere, so that
some links are trying to happen before the libraries are completely
finished?  Or just an msbuild issue?

I made my nightly script check for errors and run the second round,
because it has been happening so consistently, but a proper build
system shouldn't require such a workaround.

For reference, I generated the sln/project files like this:

cmake -G "Visual Studio 14 Win64" -Thost=x64 ^
  -DLLVM_ENABLE_ASSERTIONS=ON -DLLVM_OPTIMIZED_TABLEGEN=ON ^
  -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS="llvm;clang;clang-tools-extra" ^
  ..\llvm-project\llvm

(Yes I know the optimized tablegen comes from a separate tree,
that's built separately and always works.  It's just the main
build that fails.)

Thanks,
--paulr