[llvm-dev] Adding new a new type

Jason Ott via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 14 16:18:38 PDT 2018

I was reading: https://llvm.org/docs/ExtendingLLVM.html

And am heeding the warnings that come with new (derived) types.

I'm trying to use LLVM to model chemicals.  More specifically, there are
several reactive groups that exist: salts, bases, acids, etc. that
adequately represent their respective values.  I, for obvious reasons, want
to manifest those types in LLVM so I can type check a given input and use
LLVM for all my compilation needs.

I'm uncertain what I should do with respect to LLVM and the guidance the
documentation provides for adding new types.

Thanks!