[llvm-dev] [RFC] (Thin)LTO with Linker Scripts

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 14 06:14:10 PDT 2018

Hello Tobias,

Thanks very much for the RFC, I think that this will be useful in
persuading embedded developers to use LTO in their projects. I think
the overall approach for communication between the linker and code
generator sounds reasonable. I've got some questions/comments based on
some experience with Arm's proprietary linker, which supports LTO but
has a different linker script mechanism than GNU ld compatible
linkers. I'm not hugely familiar with the details of LTO at the moment
so apologies in advance for any misunderstandings on my part.

My understanding from the RFC is:
- All global objects in the bitcode file will be assigned a section name.
- A linker will communicate the output section of all global objects.
- Certain transformations won't be performed if the output section is different.

The common use cases that I can see that might not fit perfectly into
that model:
- Code that is in different OutputSections but it will be logically
correct and in many cases desirable to perform transformations on as
if they were in the same output section.
- Output section placement rules that are not based on names, for
example Arm's linker can assign sections to an output section until
the output section size limit is reached, then a different output
section is used. I admit that this may be more of a problem for
linkers that have a different linker script model.

I think both cases are illustrative of a use case where the precise
output section does not matter, but there is a vaguer goal of placing
a subset of the input sections in a subset of the output sections.
>From what I can tell there isn't a way for the code generator to tell
the difference between code that is placed in different output
sections and it is not correct or beneficial to optimize and code that
is placed in different output sections and it is correct and
beneficial to optimize together.

I think that this kind of use case could be supported by doing something like:
- Linker informs code generator the output sections that must not use
any information from another module and may not contribute any
information to another module. For example an output section that is
representing an overlay.
- Linker can omit the output section information for sections that the
user doesn't care where they go, and let the linker decide based on
some size constraint later.
I think the latter case could be made to work by assigning a "don't
care" module id, assuming -ffunction-sections. The former case is a
bit more difficult as we would still want some way to distinguish the
module id for placement.

I think that these are mostly details rather than fundamental problems though.

Peter