[llvm-dev] A Fresh Start with LLVM

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 13 17:02:20 PDT 2018

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Carsten Mattner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 5/13/18, Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > Yes, it's not bad. You can actually reduce the size of the .git
> > directory to 597 MB by running "git repack -a -d -f --depth=250
> > --window=250". This takes less than 5 minutes on a 16 core Xeon.
>
> You can also svn checkout any GitHub branch if that's something that
> you might need.
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/
>
> Disk space won't be saved this way because svn doesn't have
> compressed pack files. Interesting enough a checkout of trunk is
> 1.6GB but doesn't need to transfer anywhere near 1.6GB. Subsequent
> updates will be fast, but I'm sure you can use git history so this
> isn't practical anyway, I guess.

​svn keeps a complete uncompressed copy of the checkout in the .svn
directory, so it can figure out what you changed.​ That's, yes, 795 MB at
the moment (github monorepo is 1.1 GB plus 795 MB of checked out src, for
1.9 GB of total size).

If you use svn+ssh then hopefully ssh is at least gzipping that for the
transfer. A .tgz of the src (after moving the .git repo out of the
directory) is 111 MB.

It's quite remarkable really that svn uses as much space for a single
uncompressed copy of the source code as git uses for the entire project
history.