[llvm-dev] A Short Policy Proposal Regarding Host Compilers

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 11 09:54:20 PDT 2018

I'd be opposed to 6/5, given where it would leave us.
It's simply hard to see a compelling reason to leave things that long.

In particular, given this is about what it takes to produce a binary
release of clang/llvm from trunk (and not what it takes to use one), i'd
like to see some evidence/argument that using 3/1.5 would actually have a
material affect on the number of contributions, etc.
(I have doubts it would have any affect on the abliity of new developers to
start contributing, etc).
All of the clang/llvm based tools i have around (cquery, rtags, you name
it) all download and ship binary releases of clang/llvm (and FWIW, they
ship and use 1-2 year old releases).
It's also unclear to me it makes sense to try to make sure any user can
compile the latest version - for example, researchers using it almost never
keep up with trunk, even with our current policy that supports things for
longer.  They stick with the version that existed when they started.
So it's unclear that we are doing a thing users actually want in practice
anyway :)

Finally,  given the rate of support for newer C++ standards in LLVM/GCC
seems to be accelerating and not slowing down (AFAICT), keeping a time
period this long will just put you farther and farther behind over time.

It may be better to simply express it in terms of releases, and say "we
support the past 2/3 major gcc releases, the past 2/3 major clang releases,
and the past 2 major msvc releases"