[llvm-dev] RFC: LLVM Assembly format for ThinLTO Summary

Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 3 15:52:39 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:29 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:08 PM Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds good to me.
>>>
>>> That would make .ll files quite convenient during debugging I think? We
>>> could disassemble, manually change summaries, and re-assemble a bitcode
>>> file before running the (thin-)link again.
>>>

>> Yes, that seems more reasonable than what I thought you had in mind. If
>> the only consumer of this information is llvm-as, then the purpose of the
>> asm summary format is just to provide a way to create a .bc file for
>> testing purposes, which is certainly a useful capability.
>>

> That feels a bit surprising if ".ll -> llvm-as -> .bc -> <some other tool
> - opt, etc>" is different from ".ll -> <opt, etc>". Is that what we're
> talking about here? Any chance that can be avoided & feeding a .ll file
> works (in the sense of does the same thing/tests the same behavior) in all
> the same places that feeding a .bc file does? (as is the case with
> non-summary-based IR, to the best of my knowledge)

I may be mistaken, but I don't think we have a lot of tools that can read
both .ll and .bc and end up using the summary if it is a .bc file. LTO
can't read .ll, for example. The only one that I can think of is clang and
presumably we could make that use whichever API we would use in llvm-as for
reading the summary from .ll. So the behaviour of most tools would be that
".ll -> llvm-as -> .bc -> <some tool>" vs ".ll -> <some tool>" would end up
being the same in both cases: the summary gets discarded.

Peter

>> Peter
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --