[llvm-dev] RFC: LLVM Assembly format for ThinLTO Summary

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 3 15:29:19 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:08 PM Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>> have an idea (below some background first).
>>>
>>> Note that in some cases the module summary analysis is an analysis pass.
>>> I.e. when invoked by "opt -module-summary=". However, some time ago when
>>> Peter added the support for splitting the bitcode (for CFI purposes) and
>>> therefore needed to generate a summary in each partition (Thin and
>>> Regular), he added the ThinLTOBitcodeWriterPass, which invokes the module
>>> summary builder directly (twice). This writer is what gets invoked now when
>>> building via "clang -flto=thin", and with "opt -thinlto-bc". So there it is
>>> not invoked/maintained as an analysis pass/result. It would be tricky to
>>> figure out how to even split rather than recompute the module summary index
>>> in that case. Even in the case where we are still invoking as an analysis
>>> pass (opt -module-summary), we would need to figure out how to read in the
>>> module summary to use as the analysis result when available (so that it
>>> could be invalidated and recomputed when stale).
>>>
>>> Rather than add this plumbing, and just have it discarded if opt does
>>> any optimization, I think we should focus at least for the time being on
>>> supporting reading the summary from assembly exactly where we currently
>>> read in the summary from bitcode:
>>> 1) For the thin link (e.g. tools such as llvm-lto2 or llvm-lto, which
>>> currently have to be preceded by "opt -module-summary/-thinlto-bc" to
>>> generate an index, but could just build it from assembly instead).
>>> 2) For the LTO backends (e.g. tools such as llvm-lto which can consume a
>>> combined index and invoke the backends, or "clang -fthinlto-index=" for
>>> distributed ThinLTO backend testing), where we could build the combined
>>> summary index from assembly instead.
>>>
>>> This greatly simplifies the reading side, as there are no optimizations
>>> performed on the IR after the index is read in these cases that would
>>> require invalidation. It also simplifies adding the parsing support, since
>>> it gets invoked exactly where we expect to build an index currently (i.e.
>>> since we don't currently build or store the ModuleSummaryIndex when parsing
>>> the Module from bitcode). It doesn't preclude someone from figuring out how
>>> to compute the module summary analysis result from the assembly, and
>>> invalidating it after optimization, when reading the Module IR via 'opt' in
>>> the future.
>>>
>>> Does this seem like a reasonable proposal to everyone?
>>>

>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>> That would make .ll files quite convenient during debugging I think? We
>> could disassemble, manually change summaries, and re-assemble a bitcode
>> file before running the (thin-)link again.
>>

> Yes, that seems more reasonable than what I thought you had in mind. If
> the only consumer of this information is llvm-as, then the purpose of the
> asm summary format is just to provide a way to create a .bc file for
> testing purposes, which is certainly a useful capability.

That feels a bit surprising if ".ll -> llvm-as -> .bc -> <some other tool -
opt, etc>" is different from ".ll -> <opt, etc>". Is that what we're
talking about here? Any chance that can be avoided & feeding a .ll file
works (in the sense of does the same thing/tests the same behavior) in all
the same places that feeding a .bc file does? (as is the case with
non-summary-based IR, to the best of my knowledge)