[llvm-dev] Passing arguments to LTOCodeGenerator

David Callahan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 3 08:27:09 PDT 2018

In LTOCodeGenerator.cpp there are some options related to optimization remarks.
On MacOS, I can pass in this option to enable them:
     -Wl,-mllvm,-lto-pass-remarks-output=remarks

But on Linux using 2.29.1 binutils version of gold, I try this alternative:
     -Wl,--plugin-opt,-lto-pass-remarks-output=remarks

But I get this error message:
LLVMgold: Unknown command line argument '--library=to-pass-remarks-output=remarks'.  Try: 'LLVMgold -he\
lp'
LLVMgold: Did you mean '-no-warn=to-pass-remarks-output=remarks'?

If I try this
     -Wl,--plugin-opt=lto-pass-remarks-output=remarks

I get
LLVMgold: Unknown command line argument 'lto-pass-remarks-output=remarks'.  Try: 'LLVMgold -help'
clang-7: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Any suggestions are welcome,
Thanks
david