[llvm-dev] LTO query

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 2 06:33:35 PDT 2018

I've only measured performance on x86. There are some old results for SPEC
cpu2006 in the blog post here:
   http://blog.llvm.org/2016/06/thinlto-scalable-and-incremental-lto.html
The benefit is benchmark dependent, e.g. small benchmarks often don't
improve much as they don't require whole program optimizations.

We've improved the ThinLTO optimizations since then, but I don't have any
current numbers for SPEC handy.

Note that the performance is higher if you combine with PGO as the two
techniques are complementary. I would say 5-10% improvement is pretty
common (when measured on top of PGO), for codes that can benefit from whole
program / cross-module optimizations.

Teresa

Teresa Johnson |  Software Engineer |  tejohnson at google.com |  408-460-2413