[llvm-dev] [RFC] Markdown for documentation

Michael Spencer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 29 13:25:54 PDT 2018

There's been some desire recently to start writing documentation in
Markdown instead of reStructuredText. I put up a [patch](
https://reviews.llvm.org/D44910) for that, but we should figure out a
policy on how we want our documentation written first.

The desire to use Markdown comes mostly from it being simpler, and having
much wider adoption.  It does lack some of the feature that reStructuredText
has; however, the recommonmark plugin for Sphinx adds extensions for most
of them and has an escape to RST when all else fails.

My suggestion is that we don't touch the existing documentation, but
encourage new documentation to be written in Markdown+Sphinx extensions.

- Michael Spencer