[llvm-dev] [RFC] Making .eh_frame more linker-friendly

George Rimar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 28 08:44:25 PDT 2018

>@Grimar: Did you do any profiling of the code? Were the slowdowns

>you were seeing fundamental (i.e. due to IO) or could a more optimal

>implementation reduce the slowdown? Did you do any end to end

>timings for compilation + link time?

No, as far I remember I did not profile this. All results I had were about linker
timing for linking clang (posted in this thread).

I think the slowdown is natural. The more input sections we have the slower we are.
Since LLD is very fast by nature, honestly I do not really believe there is a huge
chance to significantly boost the observed ~12(?) percents slowdown.
Otherwise, that would probably be done earlier for the common case.

George.