[llvm-dev] [GSOC 2018] Extending clang AST

Stefan Stipanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 26 03:02:12 PDT 2018

Hello all,

My name is Stefan and I'm a 3rd year undergraduate student from Serbia.
This year was the first (and probably last) time i got to learn about
compilers and compiler development and I really liked it. As it sparked my
interest, I started researching and found about llvm and GSoC in
particular. Since I found out about GSoC a bit to late and had no prior
experience with llvm, I decided to wait a year and apply for next years
GSoC (hopefully llvm will participate).

>From this years project ideas, 'Extend clang AST to provide information for
the type as written in template instantiations.' looked most interesting.
It was not taken last year and, if I'm not wrong, there wasn't a single
inquiry about it this year. That said I'd like to try to work on it
throughout the year in order to gain better understanding of llvm and
clang. If this sounds ok to you, I hope it won't be a problem if
occasionally I seek for some help here (from the current confirmed mentors
or anyone willing to help) or on IRC channel, but without the need to fit
the some schedule at all.

Lastly, I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions where to start. I
started watching Manuel Klimek's talk about clang ast. Any additional
readings and/or advices would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan Stipanovic