[llvm-dev] [RFC] Function pointer alignment

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 20 09:00:31 PDT 2018

On 03/20/2018 09:24 AM, Mikhail Maltsev via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hello, all. Recently we noticed a problem with function pointer
> alignment in LLVM: the value tracking analysis (specifically the
> 'computeKnownBits' function) uses function alignment to infer that the
> least significant bits of function pointers are known to be zero.
> Unfortunately, this is not correct for ARM targets: the least
> significant bit of a function pointer stores the ARM/Thumb state
> information (i.e., the LSB is set for Thumb functions and cleared for
> ARM functions). The problem can be illustrated by the following test
> case:
>
> ; RUN: opt -instcombine -S < %s | FileCheck %s
>
> target datalayout = "e-m:e-p:32:32-i64:64-v128:64:128-a:0:32-n32-S64"
>
> ; CHECK-LABEL: @foo_ptr
> ; CHECK: and
> define i32 @foo_ptr() {
> entry:
>   ret i32 and (i32 ptrtoint (void ()* @foo to i32), i32 -4)
> }
>
> define internal void @foo() align 16 {
> entry:
>   ret void
> }
>
> LLVM eliminates the 'and' instruction because it incorrectly infers
> that the two least significant bits of the 'ptrtoint' result are zero.
> I think that this can be fixed by adding a new field to the
> llvm::DataLayout structure. What do you think about such approach?

This makes sense to me. Right now, we assume that we can get the ABI
pointer alignment given only the address space of the pointer. Please
make sure you audit all uses of getPointerABIAlignment (and others as
necessary) to make sure that everything is updated consistently

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility