[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [GSOC 2018] Information gathering

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 19 22:05:49 PDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 1:57 AM Paul Semel <semelpaul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On 03/15/2018 04:33 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,

> I just replied with this in another thread:
>
> "It's currently still available. The basic idea is that we'd be working on
> getting each of the llvm tools or libraries with a front end that is
> command line compatible with the GNU binutils counterpart to serve as a
> replacement. Whether or not we made them output compatible is something
> else, but we'll probably want to have a couple different modes there from:
>
> a) The compatible tool,
> b) The tool we all want.
>
> A and B could be the same, but then again, they might not. The low bar for
> the SoC project is going to be A."
>
> And in priority order I'd probably want to finish off objcopy support (see
> the recent thread on llvm-dev) and objdump/readobj/readelf and then go from
> there.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -eric
>

> I saw the thread you are talking about. So basically, the idea would be to
> do the correct calls for either COFF subset of functions of ELF ones wether
> we have a COFF or ELF file as an input.
> Am I right ?

Basically what I'm looking for first is a command line equivalent
replacement first for gnu objcopy. I'd focus on ELF first, and then move to
COFF/PE. I'd start from the work that Jake (cc'd) has already done and work
with Zach (cc'd) on the COFF stuff if he's still interested. Of course,
I'll be around for the first bit.

Then follow up with objcopy, etc as there's time.

> I am really interested in doing a proposal for this subject. What do you
> expect to be in it ? I was actually thinking of something like exposing the
> things I've done in LLVM/CLang, the schedule for the 3 months (but for
> this, I need to talk with you about the high priority tools, as I'm not
> sure it is possible to do all the frontend tools in such amount of time)..

Showing off your previous work is absolutely great in a proposal. A
timeline and some proof that you've at least looked at what's missing and
have ideas at how to do the work would be key. And I don't really expect
you to finish all of them - at least not without help, but with some luck
there might be other contributors to help :)

Sound good? We can definitely work on the details as you're interested -
I'll also be more responsive in the near future as well.

Thanks!

-eric