[llvm-dev] Commit module to Git after each Pass

Alexandre Isoard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 15 19:32:05 PDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 3:21 PM, Fedor Sergeev <fedor.sergeev at azul.com>
wrote:

> git-commit-after-all solution has one serious issue - it has a hardcoded
> git handling which
> makes it look problematic from many angles (picking a proper git,
> selecting exact way of storing information, creating repository, replacing
> the file etc etc).

True. Although that can be said of our 'dot' printing passes too (that
create uncontrolable file names in an uncontrolable directory) and 'view'
(that call 'dot' and 'gv' commands).

> Just dumping information in a way that allows easy subsequent machine
> processing
> seems to be a more flexible, less cluttered and overall clean solution
> that allows to avoid
> making any of "user interface" decisions mentioned above.

Maybe those 'dot' and 'view' passes are bad examples too and we should
print to stdout and rely on some post-processing?
I never liked the fact that they pollute my directory. (also, I much prefer
xdot than gv+ps as a viewer)

> We need to understand why git-commit-after-all works faster than
> print-after-all.
> I dont believe in magic... yet :)

Yes, really curious too! :-)

> And, btw, thanks for both the idea and the patch.

You are welcome. Glad that's of any use.

--
*Alexandre Isoard*