[llvm-dev] Commit module to Git after each Pass

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 15 06:30:37 PDT 2018

On 03/15/2018 01:32 PM, Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev wrote:
> For this to be really usable in this setup we need additionally to:
>   - extend -print-module-scope to cover basic block passes
>   - introduce a clear way to separate module IRs as those are being
> printed by -print-after-all
>
> But yes, it should work, and a wrapper that pipes to git fast-import
> seems to be the best way to handle it.
A simple 20-lines perl script does the trick pretty easily:
https://pastebin.com/4J0b5Tr8

(this assumes my local modification to introduce the *** END OF ** IR
DUMP marked at the end of -print-module-scope's IR module dump)

] git init
] RA/bin/opt -O3 some-ir.ll -disable-output -print-after-all
-print-module-scope 2>&1 | filter-LLVM-ir-print.pl | git fast-import
--done --date-format=now

Majority of time is spent to actually print the IR (~2m for my testcase).
Fast-import takes just a second.

regards,
   Fedor.