[llvm-dev] SPIRV-LLVM as an external tool

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 14 13:46:41 PDT 2018

All code requires maintenance.  Additional users of existing API tends
to limit their evolution.  If there is not a community around a
particular portion of code, that code is purely a drag on the project
and community as a whole.  We have a strong expectation that
contributors "pay their way" in maintenance costs.  At a minimum, new
code must be net neutral from the communities perspective.  This is a
fairly high bar to clear in practice.

(All of the above is generic and not specific to this particular
proposal, but does address the specific question below.)