[llvm-dev] Debugify and Verify-each mode

Son Tuan VU via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 14 08:11:11 PDT 2018

Hi Vedant, hi all,

My goal is to measure debug info loss of *each* optimization pass in LLVM.
I am trying to create a debugify-each mode in opt, inspired by
verify-each mode which is supposed to already work.

However, if I understand correctly, the verify-each mode (triggered by
-verify-each option in opt) only works when we provide a pass list or a
pass pipeline. Is this intended? I mean, why do not let people verify each
pass in -O{1,2,3} pipeline?

My second question is more about debugify: what should be the best way to
debugify each pass? Adding a debugify-each mode would make the output
unreadable! Maybe writing a script that collects all optimization options
(like -mem2reg or -constmerge), then pass each one of them to opt with
-enable-debugify so that we have 1 output file for each debugified pass?

Thank you for your help,

Son Tuan Vu