[llvm-dev] How to optimize store of constant arrays

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 13 08:31:00 PDT 2018

Regarding the memcpy intrinsic---it will be expanded into individual
loads/stores when the amount of data is small, depending on your target
settings.
In any case, these two approaches you have below are pretty much
equivalent. Use existing intrinsics whenever you can, or otherwise you'd
need to add code to handle them in the codegen.

-Krzysztof

On 3/13/2018 10:06 AM, via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi all, I have this problem:
>
> I'm using LLVM's C++ API, mostly `IRBuilder<>` to generate code. Some of
> the generated code is just storing constant data to a location provided
> as a function argument. Something like
> `ir_builder.CreateStore(get_default_data(), ptrValue)` where
> `get_default_data()` may return a `ConstantArray` of `i8` and `ptrValue`
> is a function argument. Looking at the generated assembly, it seems
> inefficient, it generates a separate instruction for storing each byte
> relative to the pointer. Each instruction takes several bytes, and I am
> trying to optimize for code size.
>
> The Q: What should I do to make the generated code more size-efficient
> (think `-Os`)?
>
> Current ideas, which may not include the best answer:
> - Store the data as-is in the IR, and use the `MemCpyInst` instead of
> the store when `get_default_data()` returns something big?
> - Add a custom -- or any available built-in -- pass to the output to
> transform the store instns to memcpy when appropriate?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Boldizsar
>
> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only.
> The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its
> content is not permitted.
> If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system.
> Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.

hosted by The Linux Foundation