[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Emiting linkage names for Types to Debuginfo (C++ RTTI support in GDB/LLDB)

Erik Pilkington via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 6 07:13:29 PST 2018

On 2018-03-06 7:13 AM, Pavel Labath wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 at 20:33, John McCall via llvm-dev
>

>     Seems like a reasonable project!  Maybe we can get a SoC student
>     to make a standalone C++ demangler library with a tree API (an
>     unstable one should be fine), and debuggers can just use that
>     instead of relying on the OS's cxa_demangle.  (I'm really not sure
>     why development tools rely on the system demangler anyway; surely
>     it's always easier to tell users that they'd get a better
>     experience with a new debugger than to tell them that they need to
>     replace their system's C++ standard library?)
>

> I believe there is some work being done on that already
> <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/lldb-dev/2018-January/013186.html>,
> but I'm not sure what's the current state of it. Also, in the default
> configuration, LLDB will use lllvm::itaniumDemangle for demangling
> (although there is a build option to use cxa_demangle).
Coincidentally, I was just finishing up the refactoring work I wanted to
do first on the demangler in libcxxabi. I'm going to put together an API
for the AST and put a patch up on phab as a starting point, hopefully we
can figure out the details of what LLDB wants access to from there. I'll
ping the thread you linked to when I put that patch up.

Erik