[llvm-dev] how to simplify FP ops with an undef operand?

Sanjay Patel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 5 10:27:24 PST 2018

Sure, I'll post clean-ups for LangRef as the first step.

Make sure everyone's on the same page now: the general rule will be that {
fadd, fsub, fmul, fdiv, frem } undef simplification and constant folding
will follow IEEE-754 unless stated otherwise. So for fadd:

1. fadd %x, undef --> NaN
If the variable operand %x is NaN, the result must be NaN.

2. fadd undef, undef --> undef
Anything is possible.

3. fadd C, undef --> undef (where C is not NaN or Inf)
In the general constant case, the result could be anything as long as
constant operand C is not NaN or Inf.

4. fadd NaN, undef --> NaN
Same reasoning as #1; NaN propagates.

5. fadd +/-Inf, undef --> NaN
If the constant operand is +Inf or -Inf, then the result can only be +Inf
or -Inf unless the undef is NaN or the opposite Inf. If the undef is NaN or
opposite Inf, the result is NaN, so we choose undef as NaN and propagate
NaN. (If some program or known-bits is tracking that the exponent bits are
all set, we'll preserve that...)

See IEEE-754 section 7.2 for more rules.