[llvm-dev] XRay feature – fdr log flushing

Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 25 16:34:26 PDT 2018

> On 26 Jun 2018, at 00:00, Henry Zhu <henryzhu at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>
> I might have been unclear with the term default flushing. Basic mode produces a log without being programmatically configured to do so. (Writing to a log can be enabled by configuring the environment variable).

Yes, I think I understood what you meant with default flushing.

I’m saying it’s possible to add this behaviour in FDR mode, but to only flush at program exit. It should not be too hard to add, but making it work generically (in FDR, Profiling, and Basic mode) is going to be tricky (i.e. whether this was going to be done at program exit, etc.).

Making FDR mode “keep writing” like Basic mode does is going to be much harder because FDR mode wasn’t designed to work that way.

-- Dean