[llvm-dev] Is that LLVM Language Reference Manual's bug?

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 25 03:54:31 PDT 2018

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 11:05, Nancy via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> http://www.llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#visibility-styles says  "A
> symbol with internal or private linkage must have default visibility."
>  I think it should be protected visibility.

The statement in the LangRef is the one that's enforced. I can see why
it looks like "protected" is the closest to reality but I think what's
actually happening is that "internal" and "private" linkage make the
visibility specifiers meaningless, and what you get when you don't
specify one happens to be "default".

Since it'll never be printed anyway, there's not really any reason to
invent something like "internal_default" just to make the
documentation neater.

Cheers.

Tim.