[llvm-dev] [RFC] Removing debug locations from ConstantSDNodes

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 20 16:31:41 PDT 2018

FWIW: Debug information on constants feels odd to me. They are just values not something that is executed so conceptually I would not expect them to "happen" at a specific time/place in the program. That said most numbers are copied into registers or stored into memory and that is of course an interesting action. So in the original example I would hope to see debug info on whatever instructions are used to fill the array with values.

That said I'm not familiar with the inner workings of dwarf or other debugger formats, so it may very well be reasonable to backfill the information in a late pass to avoid having assembler instructions without debug info as some people proposed.

- Matthias