[llvm-dev] Bug-closing protocol

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 19 07:45:04 PDT 2018

Thanks for chiming in - certainly if you get bugs closed that don't reflect
when the fix was committed (by revision) that's sub-optimal as well. If
someone contributed the fix and are closing the bug because of that
contribution, the revision should be mentioned in the bug - if you see
cases of that not happening, do please/feel free to reply asking which
revision fixed it.

Usually when a bug is closed as fixed without a revision it's because the
bug wasn't deliberately fixed based on that bug report but perhaps fixed by
someone independently stumbling across the same issue - and then no one
noticing that it correlated with the bug report for some time. So it's hard
to find out which revision. Even in that case, the bug closing should
mention which revision the bug was verified to be not present in - so you
can at least track that revision to know which release it ends up in &
should have the fix (though earlier revisions/releases may also have the
fix in them).

Thanks, as always, for using Clang & taking the time to file bugs! I know
it can be a bit disheartening to file bugs & get no response. If there are
particular bugs that continue to plague you, it may be worthwhile to start
a thread on llvm-dev about them - things like crashes on valid code with
clear/narrow reproducers that affect real users (such as yourself) should
get relatively positive responses (as they're easily actionable/clearly
motivated). Other things can get a bit more vague & as always, a lot of it
comes down to the priorities/availability of the contributors as to whether
they have the time, context, etc, to work on the bug fix - unfortunately.
(& though it sounds trite, I mean this positively: if you'd like to try
your hand at contributing fixes, we hope to be an open & encouraging
community to facilitate that :))

- Dave