[llvm-dev] RFC: Atomic LL/SC loops in LLVM revisited

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 13 16:29:08 PDT 2018

On 13 June 2018 at 23:37, James Y Knight via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Great writeup, thanks!
>
> I'll respond to the rest in a bit, but I have a digression first...
>
> One detail I hadn't noticed in my previous investigation is that the
> "compare_exchange_weak" (or our IR "cmpxchg weak") operation is
> theoretically unsound -- and NECESSARILY so.
>
> As mentioned in this thread, there are architectural guarantees for forward
> progress of an LLSC loop adhering to certain constraints. If your loop does
> not meet those constraints, it may well livelock vs another CPU executing
> the same loop, or even spuriously fail deterministically every time it's
> executed on its own. This thread is all about a proposal to ensure that LLVM
> emits LLSC loops such that they're guaranteed to meet the architectural
> guarantees and avoid the possibility of those bad situations.
>
> There is not to my knowledge any architecture which makes any guarantees
> that an LLSC standing alone, without a containing loop, will not spuriously
> fail. It may in fact fail every time it's executed. Of course, the typical
> usage of compare_exchange_weak is to embed it within a loop containing other
> user-code, but given that it contains arbitrary user code, there's simply no
> way we can guarantee that this larger-loop meets the LLSC-loop construction
> requirements. Therefore, it's entirely possible for some particular
> compare_exchange_weak-based loop to livelock or to deterministically
> spuriously fail. That seems poor, and exactly the kind of thing that we'd
> very much like to avoid...

I hadn't noticed that either - excellent point! The RISC-V requirement
for forward progress encompass the LR, the SC, the instructions
between it, and the code to retry the LR/SC. A weak cmpxchg by
definition separates the LR/SC from the code to retry it and so
suffers from the same sort problems that we see when exposing LL and
SC individually as IR intrinsics. I agree with your diagnosis as far
as RISC-V is concerned at least.

Best,

Alex