[llvm-dev] Mach-O support in lld: what are the known issues?

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 6 13:37:07 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 11:41 AM Brian Gesiak <modocache at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response, Rui!
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> Besides the features you pointed out, I think Xcode introduced a new way
>> of listing dynamic linking symbols, and I believe lld doesn't support that.
>>

> .tbd files, is that right? A colleague of mine pointed me to Apple's
> libtapi open source project [1], maybe I can learn more about these files
> from that library. In fact, there's been discussion about bringing libtapi
> to LLVM on the mailing list in the past, although I don't know if anything
> came of it. [2]
>
> I think the real issue is the lack of maintenance and ownership of the
>> mach-O lld tree. There's no activities for the tree for years, though we've
>> been making efforts to keep it compile and pass all the existing tests.
>>

> Excellent, thanks for letting me know. This doesn't bother me, I'm happy
> to try contributing to it as best I can! I would also appreciate, as your
> time permits, whatever guidance you can provide. For example, benefitting
> from several years of hindsight, would you recommend keeping the ATOM-based
> lld approach? [3] Prior emails discussed moving Mach-O lld away from ATOM.
> [4] Has the success of ELF and COFF influenced your thinking on this in the
> years since, or is ATOM probably still the best fit for Mach-O?

That's a good question. There was a big discussion as to the design of the
new (now current ELF/COFF/wasm) and the ATOM-based lld a few years ago when
I started working on the new one. At the time no one including me was
really sure what design is desirable, and I was exploring the design space
to something good. Today, we have three working, high-performance linkers
for ELF, COFF and wasm based on the new design, which I think proves the
design; it is easy to add new features, easy to understand, and it delivers
what users want the most (i.e. speed). Given that, if I were you, I'd try
to see if the new lld's design fits mach-O. You may need to tweak the
design a little bit, but I'd imagine that the difference is not as
significant as between ELF and wasm (which has a different concept of
memory address space mainly for security). I'd also like to get input from
Apple engineers as well.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Jean-Daniel via llvm-dev <