[llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting SIMD instruction sets with variable vector lengths

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 5 10:02:18 PDT 2018

On 5 June 2018 at 16:23,  <dag at cray.com> wrote:
> The name "getSizeExpressionInBits" makes me think that a Value
> expression will be returned (something like a ConstantExpr that uses
> vscale).  I would be surprised to get a pair of integers back.

Same here.

> If we went the ConstantExpr route and added ConstantExpr support to
> ScalarEvolution, then SCEVs could be compared to do this size
> comparison.

This sounds like a cleaner solution.

> I think this may be a case where added a full-fledged Instruction might
> be worthwhile.  Because vscale is intimately tied to addressing, it
> seems like things such as ScalarEvolution support will be important.  I
> don't know what's involved in making intrinsics work with
> ScalarEvolution but it seems strangely odd that a key component of IR
> computation would live outside the IR proper, in the sense that all
> other fundamental addressing operations are Instructions.
> This is another case where an Instruction might be better, for the same
> reasons as with vscale.

This is a side-effect of the original RFC a few years ago. The general
feeling was that we can start with intrinsics and, if they work, we
change the IR.

We can have a work-in-progress implementation before fully committing
SCEV and other more core ideas in, and then slowly, and with more
certainty, move where it makes more sense.

> Also, "iota" is the name Cray has traditionally used for this operation
> as it is the mathematical name for the concept.  It's also used by C++
> and go and so should be familiar to many people.

That sounds better, but stepvector is more than C++'s iota and it's
just a plain scalar evolution sequence like {start, op, step}. In
C++'s iota (AFAICS), the step is always 1.

Anyway, I don't mind any name, really. Whatever is more mnemonic.

>  ;; Create sequence for scalable vector
>  %stepvector = call <scalable 4 x i32> @llvm.experimental.vector.stepvector.nxv4i32()
>  %mulbystride = mul <scalable 4 x i32> %stepvector, %str_off
>  %addoffset = add <scalable 4 x i32> %mulbystride, %str_off

Once stepvetor (or iota) becomes a proper IR instruction, I'd like to
see this restricted to inlined syntax. The sequence { step*vec +
offset } only makes sense in the scalable context and the intermediate
results should not be used elsewhere.

--
cheers,
--renato