[llvm-dev] Unit Tests CMake configuration

Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 5 01:02:02 PDT 2018

Hi llvm-dev,

Does anybody know why we're not using the `add_test` feature in CMake
[0] for unit tests? In particular, compiler-rt (sanitizers and xray)
has a number of unit tests which could really just be built as normal
binaries and invoked appropriately.

If we're avoiding ctest [1], then for the unit tests in compiler-rt
I'd like to see whether just using normal binaries can make the build
faster. The 'Generating TEST_OBJECTS.*' messages seem to indicate that
these are executed sequentially, or cannot be parallelized by
ninja-build [2] and take a really long time to complete.

Thoughts?

[0] https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.4/command/add_test.html
[1] https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.4/manual/ctest.1.html#manual:ctest(1)
[2] https://ninja-build.org/