[llvm-dev] LoopIdiomRecognize is not recognizing the ctpop idiom

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 2 11:37:00 PDT 2018

   Hello.
     Thanks for the reply.

     I managed to make LLVM recognize ctpop. To make LLVM apply the loop idiom we have to
give with care arguments like -Os to opt, and especially choose an architecture that
supports in hardware ctpop
(http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20121119/156300.html mentions of
x86, ARM, PowerPC having an instruction for population count). For example:
       clang -O3 -mllvm -disable-llvm-optzns -S -emit-llvm test.c
       opt -Os -debug -S -force-vector-width=1 -mcpu=corei7 test.ll -o test_opt.ll
-loop-idiom # -Os is required (-O3 doesn't work). -mcpu is required, but we could put
something else instead of corei7, like some ARM, PPC.

   Best regards,
     Alex