[llvm-dev] Function start address

Muhui Jiang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 1 03:36:27 PDT 2018

Hi

I am using LLVM Pass combined with dwarf debug information to get all the
function's start address. My steps are below:

First, I write the function pass to get the start line of each function,
which is finished.

Then, based on the start line of every single function, I try to query the
specific line from the dwarf's line binary table, which is generated with
llvm-dwarfdump -debug-line.

However, About one third of the whole functions' start line is not found in
the mapping table. Thus, I can not get the start binary address. I know
that the mapping between source locations and binary addresses is not
bijective. I am using O1 optimization option. I know that some of the
information might be lost legitimately because of optimization. But I don't
think dwarf will miss so many functions' start addresses. Am I right? Any
useful comments and suggestions are welcomed. Many Thanks

Regards
Muhui