[llvm-dev] Proposal: pull benchmark library to the LLVM main repository

Kirill Bobyrev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 27 09:16:23 PDT 2018

As a part of upcoming new Clangd symbol index implementation, we would like
to start support benchmarks of different Clangd pieces, such as index
queries and code completion.

There are already two projects in the LLVM tree using google/benchmark
library while keeping its source code in-tree: libcxx
(libcxx/utils/google-benchmark) and test-suite
(test-suite/MicroBenchmarks/libs/benchmark-1.3.0). Storing another copy of
benchmark library sources in clang-tools-extra would be unreasonable. We
already have google test library in LLVM tree
(llvm/utils/unittest/googletest) and it is used across all other
subprojects, which looks to be very similar to the benchmark library in
terms of reusing it across the projects. I would like to know if putting
benchmark library along with googletest would be the best option. At the
same time, benchmark library could be updated to the newer version (1.4.1)
in the process of pulling it to the main LLVM repository.

It would be great to get feedback on whether this proposal looks reasonable
to the LLVM Community and having benchmark in the llvm/ repository would be
the best solution to the described problem.

Kind regards,
Kirill Bobyrev