[llvm-dev] Level of support for ARM LLD

Ed Maste via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 26 07:52:44 PDT 2018

On 27 February 2018 at 09:06, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:

> A number of companies are shipping products based on FreeBSD/arm, on
> v5 and up. As far as I know those using older processors are also
> using older versions of FreeBSD (with a toolchain based on GCC and
> Binutils). I suspect that they'll use more recent processors and a
> contemporary FreeBSD version for new designs.

We currently have one known open issue blocking our use of lld as the
system linker for FreeBSD/armv7: LLVM PR 36009. Output binaries do not
have the EF_ARM_VFP_FLOAT flag set. Our rtld uses the flag to choose
the appropriate library path.

> We do have BE Arm support in FreeBSD, but as with your comment I do
> not think it is widely used, and I would not be bothered if it remains
> a Tier 2 architecture in FreeBSD.

After the original message was sent BE Arm support has been removed
from FreeBSD.