[llvm-dev] Question about target instruction optimization

Michael Stellmann via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 25 15:21:17 PDT 2018

Yes, such optimizations are something for the "last 20%" of the project,
nice to have's.

As of now, I have yet to get a feeling of what LLVM can do on its own,
depending on what it's from the instruction tables and where it needs
help, and how much in other processing stages.
As this affects the way how the instruction info table will be set-up, I
appreciate your suggestions very much!

Now that you mentioned using a the pseudo instruction for the possible
16 bit LD command combinations:

Regarding the heavily overlapped register structure and the asymmetric
instruction set of the Z80, would you recommend to try mapping more
instructions in the form of generic pseudos that expand to multiple
instructions during legalisation (leading to more custom lowering code),
or try to map as many instructions and variations according to the
allowed / limited operators as possible in a 1:1 way, leading to simpler
lowering code (not sure if I am using the right words here)?

Thanks,
Michael