[llvm-dev] A question to the DWARF experts on symbol indirection

Nat! via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 25 14:28:15 PDT 2018

On 25.07.2018 09:07, Tim Northover wrote:
> Hi Nat!,
>
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 at 01:21, Nat! via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Is it possible to emit DWARF statements, so that in the debugger the
>> parameter _param is hidden and the visibility is a and b, without a _param-> prefix ?
> It's certainly possible in LLVM IR. @llvm.dbg.declare and so on can
> associate arbitrary Values in a function with whatever name you want.
Thanks for this great tip! I tried this with some C derived and hacked
IR code and
the results are promising. The debugger finds the value (but can't print it,
because it's not a legal C expression). But that should be OK, once my
clang compiler is used to JIT the expression, or so I hope.

> But it looks like you're trying to convince Clang itself to do that.
> That's likely to be harder since it's not exactly a natural C mapping;
That part is fortunately already working.

Ciao
    Nat!