[llvm-dev] MDNode equivalent in backend?

Son Tuan VU via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 13 13:24:06 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Let's say I want to annotate a C statement, let it be the simplest
assignment `int i = 3`. At the IR, this is straightforward as we can attach
a MDNode to the IR instruction representing the assignment. But I need to
be able to propagate the annotation to the binary ELF file. AFAIK, there is
no mechanism to do so in the backend. Is there any particular reason to not
support some sort of MIR annotation in the backend? Or is it purely because
of manpower?

Thank you for your advice

Son Tuan Vu