[llvm-dev] Cleaning up ‘br i1 false’ cases in CodeGenPrepare

George Burgess IV via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 9 15:06:27 PDT 2018

> But someone should measure before we move it.

I ran numbers on a large, varied codebase with an up-to-date clang-based
FORTIFY implementation. With the current forced lowering in CGP, we lowered
64,662 calls to @llvm.objectsize to non-failure values and lowered 111,224
to failure values. Making the instcombine iteration after
EP_VectorizerStart require that all objectsize intrinsics are lowered, we
found successful values for 64,552 llvm.objectsize intrinsics, and returned
failure values for 120,616.

Taken literally, we fail to lower 63.2% of calls with "successful" values
today, and this change makes us fail to lower 65.1%. However, given that
the earlier lowering makes us lower a little over 9,000 additional
intrinsics, I'd imagine that most of these 'new' failures got DCE'd away
before hitting CGP in the past.

In any case, I'd like to note that these numbers don't include calls to
__builtin_object_size that clang is able to lower itself, so from a clang
user's perspective, any degradation mentioned here is likely an
overstatement.

Given the above, I've no issues with forcing @llvm.objectsize lowering to
earlier in the pipeline. I have a patch <https://reviews.llvm.org/D49103>
to do this as part of InstCombine. Happy to make a
LowerBestEffortPostOptimizationIntrinsicsPass (or whatever) specifically
for this, if that would be preferable. Also happy to dig into where some of
those additional objectsizes appear from if people really want.