[llvm-dev] Get the function boundaries

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 9 06:21:46 PDT 2018

Hi Muhui,

It sounds like you are examining the final executable file.  Even without –static it is possible that some libraries are available only statically, and those functions probably will not have debug information.  If that is the case, then yes what you are seeing is normal behavior.

If you examine the individual .o files that you compiled, and find functions missing from the debug information, that would be less expected.  There are only a couple of reasons to omit a function from the debug information.  One is if the source has the "nodebug" attribute, then we will not emit it.  I think also in some cases we might not emit debug information for artificial functions, such as compiler-generated constructors, or functions to perform static initialization prior to running main().  The latter two cases would apply only to C++; if you are compiling C code, you don't need to worry about those.

Hope this helps,
--paulr