[llvm-dev] [RFC] Improving compact x86-64 compact unwind descriptors

Nick Kledzik via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 26 18:54:22 PST 2018

John and Ron,

I developed the original compact unwind implementation for macOS 10.6 back in 2009.  I tried to leave space in the design to support finer grain exception handling such as for asynchronous or for the shrink wrap optimization.   The idea I had at the time was  instead of having just one 32-bit compact unwind info per function, there could be an array of them each covering a different range. All but the first would have the UNWIND_IS_NOT_FUNCTION_START bit set.

On macOS, the linker takes the 32-byte “compact unwind group description” records and folds them down into a complete different (read only) runtime table which basically maps an offset in the DSO into a 32-bit compact info for that address.

It seems like from your proposal that your linker keeps the “compact unwind group description” records as is and just concatenates them, and the runtime would need to understand the prolog/epilog encoding.  I would think that just widening the group record (as you suggest in 5.1) would be much simpler (like SHT_REL was widened to SHT_RELA).

-Nick