[llvm-dev] RFC: Using link-time optimization to eliminate retpolines

Paul Rouschal via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 26 10:10:40 PST 2018

Hi,

Sean Silva via llvm-dev wrote:
> Wouldn't a branch funnel open the door to a type 1 attack?

Only if the code looks exactly as you wrote it. If I understand this
correctly the problem with indirect branches is that the "gadget", the
code leaking the data, could be *anywhere* in the binary, giving the
attacker much more freedom. So restricting these calls to one of the
known correct results will still be a (relative) win.

Hand-Wavy Example:

struct Base {
       virtual int f(long) = 0;
};

struct A : Base {
      int f(long x) override {
           return 0;
      };
};

struct B : Base {
      int f(long x) override {
           return 1;
      };
};

static int aCompletelyUnrelatedFunction() {
     someOtherCode();
Gadget:
     int z = array2[array1[somethingInTheSameRegisterAsX] * 256];
     return z;
}

Here the attacker could train the predictor to continue execution at
"Gadget".

To quote from [1]

"To mistrain the BTB, the attacker finds the virtual ad-
dress of the gadget  in the victim’s address space,  then
performs indirect branches to this address.  This training
is done from the attacker’s address space, and it does not
matter what resides at the gadget address in the attacker’s
address space; all that is required is that the branch used
for training branches to use the same destination virtual
address."

[1] Kocher et.al.: Spectre Attacks: Exploiting Speculative Execution
https://spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf

Best Regards,
Paul