[llvm-dev] llvm::UpgradeDebugInfo does a full verification

Carlo Kok via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 25 11:54:59 PST 2018

On January 25, 2018 5:56:15 PM GMT+01:00, Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:

><llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah I read that. My problem is that I use these calls to feed llvm
>my generated bitcode (I don't use the llvm apis, I write bitcode and
>give the endresult to llvm); now there's a fairly noticable overhead in
>bitcode and skips checks" call I can use instead.
>
>For testing purposes, opt and llc provide an option to not run the
>Verifier, but want to strongly discourage using this for anything
>besides writing testcases. IMHO whenever data is passed to LLVM, LLVM
>should run the verifier once. Does the overhead of the verifier show up
>in the profile? If so, is there a specific part that is slowing things
>down? The verifier checks should be mostly O(n) with the occasional
>DenseMap lookup. If improving the performance of the Verifier is an
>option I would rather like to go down this route.

I understand the need for this from an external tools POV. I suppose my use case is way different. My compiler and llvm used match exactly and in debug mode I verify myself.  I didn't profile it yet as I haven't found out a good profiler for this just yet. Just noticed quite noticable difference after upgrading. I'll try to get exact numbers shortly.

--
Carlo Kok