[llvm-dev] [JIT] Evaluating Debug-Metadata in bitcode

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 19 09:07:24 PST 2018

Do you want to be able to debug from your main code, and step into the JITed code?
Do you want to be able to set breakpoints, list callstacks, etc in the JITed code?
Do you want to, from a crash, identify where in your JITed code it went wrong?

The first two are definitely one or more order(s) of magnitude harder to solve than the third one, since you basically have to tell your debugger that "I've now added some more code here, come here to see the symbols", and would require a fair amount of extra work to make any existing debugger understand this concept, never mind the exact implementation details.
Conceptually this is not terribly different from having a debugger know what to do with a dynamically loaded library.  The trick is having the debug info somewhere that the debugger can find it.  I'm not sure our JITs even generate debug info from the metadata.
--paulr