[llvm-dev] RFC: Import of Integer Set Library into LLVM source tree

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 16 16:41:25 PST 2018

On 01/15/2018 08:52 AM, Michael Kruse via llvm-dev wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> for our goal to make polyhedral optimization available in the main
> LLVM source, we will need the Integer Set Library (isl)[1]. It is the
> main dependency of Polly, but would be required even if we do not
> directly import Polly.
>
> I already prepared a patch [2], unfortunately without feedback on the
> general approach. As Philip suggested in the review, I am reaching out
> with an RFC with a wider audience on llvm-dev.
>
> As for the main motivation on why to import the entire source of isl at all:
> Polly interacts relative tightly with isl which provide the main
> optimization algorithms. For instance, Polly's regression tests
> compare the string output of set representation, which unfortunately
> can change between versions. For instance, if a newer version
> implements a simpler string description of the same set. That means
> that tests would fail if a different version is installed on the host
> system. This is significant for buildbots that would need regular
> manual action to install a newer version of isl on the system.
>
> An alternative would be to only store the git sha1 and a CMake script
> would download that version when building. However, it would also be
> more difficult to both sources in-sync in the checkout (think of git
> bisect).
>
> I suppose these were also the reasons why Polly imported the isl
> source in commit r228193 instead of requiring users to call
> utils/checkout_isl.sh manually.
>

> The other design decisions and rationales are mentioned in the review
> summary [2]. I repeat them here so they can be referred to in replies.
>
> * The library is named LLVMISL and contained in the lib/ISL folder to
> work best with LLVM's component system. The component's name "ISL" was
> chosen over "isl" as it matches the capitalization of other
> two/three-letter-acronym components.
>
> * Isl's headers are installed into $PREFIX/include/llvm/ISL/isl. This
> is to not conflict with potentially user/system-installed isl headers.
> Please note that this means that MIT-licensed headers land on the
> target system.
This comment caught my eye.  Looking at ISL, it appears to offer a MIT
license only.  How does this interact with LLVM's licensing? There does
appear to be some precedent for third party libraries under different
licenses, but this needs careful discussion and review by a
knowledgeable party.  (I am not one.)